About the author: Philip R. Craig (1933 –2007) was a writer known for his Martha's Vineyard mysteries. He was born in Santa Monica and raised on a cattle ranch near Durango, Colorado. In 1951 he attended Boston University intending to become a minister, and got a degree in 1957. He taught English and Journalism at Endicott College in Beverly, Massachusetts from 1962 to 1965, and at Wheelock College in Boston until 1999, at which point he retired to become a full-time writer. (Wikipedia)
- J. W. Jackson, retired Boston cop
- Zeolinda Madieras, his girlfriend
- Dan Wiggins, a.k.a. "Iowa"
- Geraldine Miles, Iowa's niece
- Lloyd Cramer, Geraldine's abusive boyfriend
- John Skye, professor
- Billy Jo Skye, his sister? cousin? in Colorado - it's unclear.
- Bernadette Orwell, John Skye's former student
- Gordon Berkeley Orwell, Bernardette's brother